Friday 23 September 2011

Jerusalem 1


Jerusalem 1
The letter sort of finished here and there is now a seamless segue to the next bit, whatever that is. You will also be aware that I am writing this very slowly as I know you cannot read quickly. I hope you appreciate that.
Jerusalem syndrome occurs in people who visit the holy sites and become so overwhelmed they become a character from the bible, but not JC for some reason. There is a tailor who does a very good trade in designing costume of Mary Magdalene, St Francis of Assisi and others all with various accessories to match. They are extremely expensive because they are special. Strangely, it does not affect those with a strong religious conviction, but those that are born again. The Israeli authorities deal with the problem by putting them on the next plane. This has nothing to do with cost; it is for the best.
google image
I was a bit worried about my own mental state. I had a beard, long hair, wore sandals and was weak on crosses (when I played football). Plus I have always had a Messiah complex. I had travelled a long way. As someone pointed out, being half crazy in this town is not enough; you have to be completely mad to survive here.
I wheeled my bike to a hostel and was greeted by John. He was from the suburbs. His dad was a solicitor and he was a drop out. He played the rock opera ‘Tommy’ non-stop. It took me back to school days and the 6th form common room and some great music. Mickey Prince had the largest record collection. He would walk home with his pockets bulging with coins, won from his card playing skills. There was a group of middle-class kids who would waste their ‘allowance’ taking stupid risks betting high sums on poor hands. We all got to listen to the latest music in the best Robin Hood tradition.
google image

No comments:

Post a Comment