Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Preface

Warning: adult material
It was 20 years ago today (I do not why I should start with a quote from McCartney; he never quotes any of my songs) I set foot, or more accurately bike tyre, on the Holy land. It was to last just over 12 months (on a tourist visa) and was an essential part of my mid-life crisis; a yearlong Rugby tour.
It was the best of times and the worst of times (must stop plagiarising).
20 years on I am writing this (and will finish it this time) in McDonald’s, Bucharest. Ironically, I can see a synagogue across the bustling main road, a reminder of my time there.
     google image
Looking back I can vividly remember the characters I came across. Most were interesting, at least one was dull and some downright evil. Only the names have been changed- to protect me.
When I was there I started writing short stories, for the first time in my life, just because I had to. There seemed no other release from the anger I felt at certain situations. The words simply flowed. Some of these will be included. The format will take the place of essays, as that is how I re-tell the stories, possibly with some fine-tuning and artistic licence, but what the heck.
So, je’ ne regret rein (oops, done it again).

No comments:

Post a Comment